Whether you’re thinking of selling now, in a few years or not at all, you want to know that the improvements you’ve made are worth what you’ve paid. The best improvements you can make in 2018 that will add the most equity are:
- Create Outdoor Living Space: Living in California we can spend time outdoors all year long. Build a fire pit for evening hang outs. Create a water feature like a fish pond or recycled waterfall. A small gazebo or shaded area is the perfect place to chill. Put in some raised beds and grow your own food. There are tons of options that are DIY. Check out Pinterest for ideas
- Freshen Up What You Have Already: Costly remodels are not always necessary. A great way to give your home a new feel and a fresh look is to update your finishes. New fixtures on your sinks and hardware on cabinets are a great way to modernize. A new front door or garage door can completely change the look of your home. Small landscaping projects like planting flowers look great!
- Making Your Home Energy Efficient: This one starts paying off instantly in reduced energy bills. Start small by caulking around your windows and sliders to ensure no air is coming through. Insulate your attic, it’s an easy project your can do yourself that will significantly reduce your heating costs. Replacing windows, HVAC systems, and water heaters will increase the efficiency of your home. Solar energy is growing fast and is becoming very affordable.
- Turn Your Home Into A Smart Home: Buyers are looking for smart home features when they’re buying a home. Smart home features will maximize your home’s efficiency and security. Put in a Nest thermostat which learns your daily routine, adjusts accordingly and can be controlled from your smart phone. Smart security systems allow you to see who’s at your door, talk to them, record them and let them in if you want remotely. There are even indoor gardening systems. Grow your own food easily without the need for a large outdoor garden. There are tons of options to turn your home into a smart home. Think about it.
- Manufactured Stone Veneer: Stone veneer is very popular these days. It looks great and can used in many ways. Build a raised bed and put veneer around it. If your home has columns wrap them in veneer. It can be used as siding to improve curb appeal. There are tons of ways to utilize stone veneer.
These are just a few of the renovations with great return on investment. Realtor.com put together this graphic with the cost vs. return of multiple projects.
Some of these projects are easy some will require experts to help you out. I’ve got a team of experts to put you in contact with. Let’s talk about renovations that will give you the biggest bang for your buck!